Shops rags as Official DC warranty repair material?

From: crm (tb.crm@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 11:33:35 EDT

Hey guys,

Need some help understanding this - In a recent post I told about a "thunk"
sound coming from the underside of my 2001 Quad Cab. In short, their first
diagnosis was the gas tank hitting the forward cross-member of the frame.
They fixed it by putting some "insulation" between the tank and frame. Well,
that didnt fix it. They went on to blame the vibration dampener and then the
dual exhaust I had put on (neither of which are the problem).

When I went yesterday to have the exhaust looked at by the guy that did it,
I discovered what they had used to "insulate" the gas tank - 2 blue shop
rags folded over and wedged in between the tank and frame!!!! Aren't they
flammable? And why didnt they fix it in the first place instead of some
half-assed rigged job?

The truck is now at a different dealership and hopefully all the thunks and
squeaks the first dealer couldnt fix will now be corrected properly.
However, now that I've had time to think about this, I'm wondering what my
options are.

1. Did this supposed "fix" pose a safety hazard?

2. Do official Dodge warranty work guidelines promote the use of flammable
shop rags to insulate the gas tank from hitting the frame?

So help me out here. What actions should I be taking to get this situation
rectified? A few people here at work have mentioned the BBB as well as
taking legal action. Is there any basis for some sort of lawsuit? When this
whole thing first started out, I genuinely just wanted to get my truck
fixed. Now it's turned into a whole mess and would appreciate some help
figuring out my next step.

Thanks!

-adam