Re: learn to drive stick?

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 07:10:02 EDT

If I did the math correctly, your 150km commute is about 90 miles which is
about what mine is. When I got my 98 Dak (V6, 5spd, RC) I was getting about
18-19 MPG. Before I got it, I was running a 84 Ferd Ranger 4X4, (V6, 4spd,
RC) and it was only giving me about 14 MPG. Main reason for getting the
Dak. Anyway, after doing some low budget mods to my truck, I currently am
getting 22-23 MPG running between 65 and 75 MPH. Now for my money, that
isn't too bad and most certainly makes me feel better than having to drive
a small car.

 Now as far as learning to drive stick, I had to learn twice. (I really
wanna see how much discussion this remark is gonna cause, LOL) When I was a
kid, my Dad was a rural mail carrier. They had to purchase their own
vehicles and the USPS gave them vehicle allowances. I think they still do
for that matter. Anyway, The first truck I can remember him having for
carrying mail was a 66 Dodge. He replaced that in 72 with another Dodge.
The 66 had auto trans and the 72 had a 3 spd column shift. Here's the
kicker. He had special ordered both truck from Chrysler with right hand
drive. The 66 really didn't matter because in that year, the auto trans
shifter was on the dash, but the 72 was "3 on the tree" and since it was a
right hand drive, you had to shift with your left hand. That's the truck I
learned to drive stick with and when I bought my first car, a 73 Duster,
318, 3 spd, floor shift, I had to learn how to shift with my right hand.
Driving a stick isn't too hard, it just takes some getting use to. Have you
considered getting a Dak with the 5spd? Just a suggestion, but one worth
considering. You might also try going to some dealers in your area and
"test driving" some of the vehicles with a stick. Tell the rip-off art...er
salesman you really want a stick and try driving it. He can probably give
you some quick instructions on driving a stick. Besides, after you give him
the ride of his life he'll either want to give you a really good deal on
the vehicle or throw you off the lot. Just don't try this at a place your
really want to do business with, LOL.

HTH, and its...
Just my 2 cents worth.

Ray Irons