Re: Still Pinging/Missing with HO CAMS/PCM

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 20:51:38 EDT

Hi Wm
     I don't have any of this hi performance after mkt stuff you have but I
was getting increasing pinging. The V6 is supposed to run on 87 rated
"regular" and for the first 40k mi it did so very well, just a trace of light
ping under the most severe load. But over the past several months the light
ping under heavy load changed to an incessant ping under normal conditions.
Probably a good bit of the reason is the lousy gas here in No Calif. We pay
the highest USA prices per gal consistently for what is probably the worst
quality gas thanks to all the up tight environmental freaks we have in our
legislature that currently mandate no less than 27 different gas formulas
that the oil companies must offer in various parts of this state if they want
to market gas here.
     I complained to my dealer. He suggested the computer reprogramming
based upon a bulletin from Chrysler. Even though I was past my 3yr/36kmi
warranty he said it would be cost free since it relates to emissions/engine
performance.
     The procedure completely cured the pinging putting it with 87 octane
back to where only under severe load will it ping and then very moderately.
There's been no change in my gas mileage (19-21mpg), no adverse change in
engine performance, idle, etc. I towed a combined trailer & boat weight
about 4k pounds up to the Lk Tahoe area last week and at continual elevations
of 6,000 to 9,500ft the truck performed flawlessly.
     Some members of this List have written very strong negatives about
allowing your dealer to make any engine computer changes charging that to do
so will make drastically negative results on performance and everything else.
 Nothing even close to those charges have been my experience.

Paul Sahlin