Re: Missing Problem has me stumped!

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 15 2002 - 22:56:48 EDT

> The only code stored was 351 which referred to a
> faulty secondary ignition coil. What the heck is a "secondary" ignition
> coil? I'm only aware of the one.
> Mods to the truck are MSD 6A, MSD wires, MSD Blaster SS coil, Autolite
> 3923 plugs, K&N Gen II, and custom cat-back exhaust.

Jayson,
    You have a problem that plaques some Mopars and others don't seem to care
either way. In other words, some Rams/Dakotas will throw a code when a MSD
is hooked up, others seem to do just fine with a MSD plugged in. MSD has the
part you need to fix your problem. The problem has to do with the MSD
triggering multiple sparks below 3000 rpm. This confuses some computers and
they try to readjust their timing etc... and then throw a light when the
puter can't adjust far enough to make itself happy. MSD makes a "tach
adapter" that slices into the coil lead wires. I have put MSD boxes on about
9 Dakotas and so far only one has thrown the same code and acted the same
way. After much hairpulling and a few phone calls, the techs at MSD said
this was a problem with a few of the Chrysler products and told me the part
number of the "tach adapter" that I needed to take care of the feedback
problem. So I told them to send it my way. A few days later I got the part
that I paid for and installed it. Reset the computer and the same Dakota has
not given any problems for three years now. Give MSD a call and they can get
you the right tach adapter. Sorry I can't remember the part number right off
hand. HTH

The other Will