taking a "brake"

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (BigGabe@FIUFIJI.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 17:03:40 EDT

I'm taking a break from all the law school studying to write this... i need
some help in a bad way!

my brakes are doing the usual dakota thing. i know they are most likely
warped (because i can feel it when i brake because they shake under foot),
but the most disturbing part is that my calipers are grinding into the rotor
on the passenger side.

i replaced my brakes about 12,000 miles ago, and i had to have one of my
rotors replaced because the damned thing was grooved by my caliper, which i
was told, was sticking. the problem was resolved, and i haven't had a
problem on the driver's side again. however, now, the passenger side is
getting its "groove" on, and i know i'm going to have to replace the damned
thing pretty soon.

so here's my question. when i replace my brakes, i'm going to upgrade them
to slotted rotors (powerslot, i think... but i could use suggestions),
however i don't want the damned calipers sticking, causing all the grooves
onto those nice, expensive rotors that i'm going to buy. so, how can i
prevent the calipers from doing that?

here are some solutions that i was thinking of... (1) lubricating whatever
is causing the calipers to stick. (2) replacing the calipers with some new
calipers, which might resolve the problem (i doubt it will, tho). or (3),
wait, and upgrade my brakes to those on the 2003 Dak, which would force me
to buy some 16 or 17" rims (which could get really expensive, although i'm
sure the brakes would justify the cost).

are there any other solutions that y'all can think of, to reduce cost,
improve safety, and eliminate this annoying problem???

thanx for the help

Gabe Couriel
http://frontpage.tripod.com/fijigabe0