Re: A few cam questions... need advice!

From: greg conner (dodgeboy93@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 00:08:19 EDT

wes, are you saying the key that holds the cam sproket on broke? Is the
keyway ok? Can you get the broke piece out? I have a spare standard key
way you can have if you cant get one from the dealer, also I have 2 stock v6
cams if yours ends up being screwed up. I am running a comp cams 200/206
504/512 112ls cam in my v6, but it would require you to change valvesprings.
  Bob kammer at kammer and kammer racing as well as dave hughes both offer
v6 custom grinds. Bob actually has some in stock i beleive.

glad the chain got there ok

-greg

>From: "Wes Weems" <wweems@fix.net>
>To: <dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net>
>Subject: DML: A few cam questions... need advice!
>Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:14:48 -0700
>

>Ok, well I pulled my timing chain cover and stuff to install a new timing
>chain... and besides the fact that just about all the bolts that had
>anythign to do with the timing chain etc were on the loose side, I found
>something that was a little on the scary side....
>

>My truck was running bad... but I found that the little notch on the cam
>that timing chain gear notches on to, had broken off... and now was still
>holding the gear in place, but I guess I musta caught the problem JUST in
>time.
>
>So my questions are....
>
>1) is it possible to change the camshaft with the engine under the hood?
>I'd
>rather not have to dissasemble everything....
>
>2) do I just need a new camshaft? I am broke as a joke... and I think thats
>an understatement
>
>3) how much is a new cam, and are there mild performance cams for a mostly
>stock 3.9k v6?
>

>I can pull my valve cover gaskets and intake manifold to install a new
>cam... but I am going to be without a car fora few weeks =(
>

>Thanks for any info... my truck is a 1997 dodge dakota sport 4x4 with about
>79k mi.
>wes

Greg Conner
1996 RC