Cam installation questions

From: K M (hipburwig@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 20:59:48 EDT

Ok,
So I ordered a regular replacement cam so I can
install it tomorrow,
and I
was wondering if anyone had tips.

>From my FSM I gather, I need to align the timing marks
on the gears,
follow
the procedure to pull the intake manifold, valve
covers, and
distributor,
and lifters+pushrods. My questions are....

1) after the lifters and pushrods are yanked, and the
distributer
yanked...
should the cam just pull out from behind the thrust
plate?

2)how do I prevent the cam from getting missaligned,
as well as the
distributor. I'd hate to go throughthe mess of trying
to find lost
alignment
again..

Any advice would be great... I think I will be capable
of doing this...
just
alignment problems I think..

   all i can say is be careful when you puul the cam
out. Its no just gunna pull right out your gunna have
to feel it out. the main thing is not to scratch the
cam bearings or their junk. yur gunna have to grab it
and slowly pull with a little twist here and there.
stick the cam bolt back in for somting to grab on to.
if it feel stuck push it back in give it a little spin
and try again and try not to scratch the bearings.
when you pull it out pretend the bearings are like a
scratch off game, only you dont want to scratch it
off. A far as alignment put the #1 cyl at top dead
center mark the position of the dist. shaft and the
rotor. you cant really put the crank 180 off from the
cam the alignment marks wont line up right. the cam
dot at the bottom and the cank at the top. when you
put it back together put a little silicone in the
corners where the top edge of the block and the head
meet. so when you put the intake on it will seal that
spot where all 3 come together better, just as a
precaution (have hadem leak before).