Re: Re: Re: Dual Exhaust

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 16:13:24 EDT

"Gary Hedlin" <ghedlin@theramp.net> wrote:

: How do those sound with a Carsound Cat? I have a flowmaster 40 serries on
: mine right now, and its louder than hell. I need a soft, low rumble :)

  I'm not sure how it sounds with a Carsound, but the Gibson is a pretty
nice muffler - gives the exhaust a mellow tone - I had one on my '96
which I used both with the stock cat and with no cat at all. The cat
makes all the difference in the world. I really liked the way it sounded
without the cat, it was a bit too quiet for me with the cat in there.

  Unfortunately, on the way back from the Nats, the tailpipe came off
(rusted through). I needed to do something right away, so I threw
together a new exhaust out of parts laying around the garage. I
used a 3" Dynomax Race Magnum that was waiting to be installed on my
Ram, and a 3" 90 degree mandrel bend along with my Gibson tip to
dump it out right in front of the rear tire. This is MUCH louder
than the Gibson, partially becuase of the lack of a tailpipe I'm
sure. My initial impression is that I don't like the sound as much
(the Gibson was more "refined") but its got a nice rumble at idle, and
at 55mph, isn't too obtrusive - but when you're going through the gears
the whole neighborhood knows it! Unfortunately, I never did get any
good sound clips of the Gibson with the cat out - a shame since I
always thought it was one of the nicest sounding Daks I'd come
across, with the exception of Ray Block's Dak which sounded almost
identical, and James Elsmore's which was a different sound but every
bit as nice (or nicer). Now, my exhaust is just loud and mean - no
finesse. :-)

  If it helps at all, there are some sound files on the DML home
page - http://www.dakota-truck.net/sounds/ of my '96 with the Gibson
cat-back and the stock cat in place. Its a V8 though, not a 6 so
obviously the sound is going to be somewhat different - should give
you an idea though. (Sorry, they are large WAV files instead of mp3
because they've been up there since before mp3s became popular.) :-)
I'll get them converted eventually...

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'