Route 2002 (sorta long)

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 09:40:18 EDT

Hey, DML!
Last nite I made it over to "Route 2002, An American Road Trip!"
Daimler-Chrysler is touring the country with Dodges, Chryslers & Jeeps &
allowing us common folks to check out their performance. It's a freebie, to
boot!
I took a QC FR 2K02 DAK 4X4 for a drive over their "Construction Site"
course. Maybe a mile of moguls, banked turns, hills, ditches, mud & ruts.
Unfortunately, the DAK was an auto, but it DID have a 4.7 V-8. While I'm
used to the DAKSY & wouldn't trade er for nuthin, I gotta admit, the 4.7
really has some power & zip, at least in the DAK.
Then I got to take the "Mayor of Truckville" for a run over the same course.
NICE RIDE! But it also had the 4.7 & what a difference in a bigger vehicle.
Didn't like it at all. Seemed like a slug. Too much truck around the engine
I guess.
There was a beeyooteeous "Hot Rod Hemi" - a DAK R/T that must rip up the
1/4. Didn't have any times posted, but it was a tad lowered, & it had big
ole flames on the sides & it had a 528 c.i.d. hemi Crate motor under the
hood! I asked if they'd start it & let me take it around the "moto-x" type
of course, but they said it was only started to get it on & off they tour
truck. The guy did say that it was the loudest thing he'd ever heard!
There was another Gen III DAK 4x4 that hadda been lifted THREE FEET. It had
39.5 - 16.5 /18 Super Swampers on her.The door handles were even with my
eyes! The sticker indicated that it had been lifted by
www.offroadunlimited.com - from somewhere in So. Cal. (I think).
Bill Elliot's #9 ride was there, too. Got a pic taken with me in the
driver's seat, but I didn't scan it in yet.
In the "Truckville" tent, I asked the woman behind the counter "What's new
in Truckville?" She pointed to a new Ram Chassis with an engine sittin in it
& said, " the new Ram engine is right there." I said " Oh, the 5.7 Hemi?"
She says " Hey! You know your Dodges, Doncha!" (Old DML News I'm afraid,
Heehee.) But I just told her I was a DAK owner & try to stay up on R&D...The
Viper engine & the Turbo-Diesel were there, too, as were the 3.5 & 3.7
Hemis.
A note near the 3.7 said it would only be offered in the RAM (?!?!?!?!)
Another tent had a '47 Power Wagon, a '79 "Li'l Red Pick Up Truck" a '55
Chrysler 300 & a '70 Challenger - All Cherry, of course.
Anyway, I drifted thru for about an hour & a half & headed out the gate with
my (free) Team Dodge hat & a big smile on my face!
If the tour comes to a town near ya - CHECK IT OUT!
(GO FOR IT ANDY!)
L8r,

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY