Re: Solid Front Axle Dakota....

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 22:49:06 EDT

"Mr. Plow" <adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com> wrote:

: I'm strongly leaning towards keepin the Dak, and modding the hell outta it
: to make it a true trail rig. I was thinking, any type of donor vehicle that
: i would buy for a trail rig i would be doing the same thing that needs to be
: done with my Dak, so why not just keep it and cut it up? :D
: I'd be bobbing the bed to improve departure angle, and doing something with
: the front to improve approach angle, and a solid front axle swap to get some
: flex up there. Also, that Durango guy put in a fully-floating rear Dana60
: and has mad flex... so i will most likely do that eventually too.....

: Along with that, i would throw in a 360, and a beefed up tranny, as the 4.7
: i think is a little too touchy for strictly trail duty... As shown by the
: most recent BBQ. hehehe

: Everything is up in the air until i get my settlement from the lawsuit, but
: i think it would be pretty cool to have the only (or nearly the only)
: trail-only 2000 Dakota, fully prepped. :D

  Uh oh.... :-)

   If you have the time, money, and desire, I'd say go for it. :-)
Sounds like it will be quite a beast! One thing that comes to mind
though is, since you're already spending all of this money and planning
to upgrade the motor, why not get a real stump puller in there?
I'm thinking something along the lines of 500+ci wedge crate motor,
HEMI crate motor, or Cummins turbo diesel. :-)

  As long as I am spending your money ;-) another thing I have thought
would be cool is to build a trail rig from scratch. Start with a pile
of steel tubing, and end up with something like the Scorpion. :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'