Re: More Diesel Stuff...attn. Jon, Ray, and Jeff

From: Pukeloser@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 20:10:07 EDT

Have to agree with you on most points and I too am not trying to start a
firestorm here. The deisel motor has been the mainstay of the industrial
world because of its long term cost benefits. The day to day consumer driver
wont see as much of the benefit as most industrial applications simply due to
the fact that they are way more efficient a a constant rpm, for example a
deisel locomotive uses engines that are at a constant (calculated most
efficient) RPM that then drive electric generaters which drive electric
motors which drive the wheels. This is highly relevant due to the interest in
Hybrid vehicles which will run much the same way and will be well suited to
the deisel motor. Many "hot rodders" dont get into deisels because of the
lack of broad powerband, they develop their power/torque differently than gas
engines. I think more people will be accepting of them when many of the
peripheral probs are figured out (like the tranny gearing and longevity).
Have to say I liked your post, I think many people dont understand deisel
motors and how they differ from gas when it comes to things like the effects
of compression on the cylinder temperature (especially with turbos). I too
have piston pitting on my magnum, but I attribute most of that to my own
decision to remove the EGR system (pre-96 vehicles). Better pistons would
help this problem but manufacturers dont want the costs. I think people would
be astonished to know that if everyone was willing to pay an extra $2500 for
a new vehicle, the automakers could produce vehgicle that get 500k miles,
gas or deisel but then they wouldnt get the repeat business every few years.

anyway gas or deisel BUY AMERICAN

John S