Dodge Motorsports, sad news

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 05:50:14 EDT

Well folks, I just saw some sad news. Apparently when Sterling Marlin had
his wreck last weekend in the Kansas City race, he broke a vertebra in his
neck and is out for the season. Chip Ganassi racing has named Jamie
McMurray to drive the #40 Dodge for the remainder of the season. McMurray
was to drive a 3rd car for Ganassi Racing next year in Winston Cup and will
also complete his commitment to the Busch series for the remainder of this
season. This will force Ganassi to pick another driver to sub for Marlin at
Martinsville since McMurray has a prior commitment that weekend to race the
Busch race in Memphis. Marlin was given two options. Continuing the season
by starting the race, completing a lap, being relieved, collect
championship points and undergo surgery in the off season or start wearing
a neck brace immediately and get out of the car. Marlin chose to wear the
brace and get out of the car for long term health concerns. I wish Sterling
a speedy recovery and hope he can get right back in the thick of a title
hunt for next year.

Ray Irons
Dover, DE