RE: Wrong time for DAK to die

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-ns.com)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 08:38:42 EDT

Hi Bill,
There is a special puller for the power steering pulley, but since yours is
already trashed, you could use a regular gear puller to remove it. As far
as installing the new one, it gets pressed on. Have this done at a shop.
The pulleys are very soft and unforgiving. You can bend one before you know
it if you try to install it without a press (or one very big vise). There
is a spec in the FSM for aligning the pulley on the pump shaft. I don't
remember off the top of my head what it is, but I can look in the manual for
you. If you don't follow this your S-belt will be out of alignment. This
will cause it to most likely squeek and wearout prematurely. That means
you'll be pulling the PS pump back out to have the pulley re-aligned, so its
worth doing right the first time. Let me know if you want the specs from
the FSM, ok?
Rich - Ashburn, VA