RE: Re: Was New Durango Now : (RANT!!! )

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (BigGabe@FIUFIJI.com)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 13:17:51 EDT

the original hummer (aka, the REAL hummer) is independent suspension. and
it can also climb a 3ft. tall vertical wall with no problem...

Gabe Couriel

http://frontpage.tripod.com/fijigabe0

---
1998 Dodge Dakota Club Cab Sport
3.9L V6
5-Speed Manual Transmission (AX-15)
3.21 Open Rear End

-----Original Message----- From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net [mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of Brian Tully Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 12:20 PM To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net Subject: Re: DML: Re: Was New Durango Now : (RANT!!! )

The new H2 Hummer has suburban running gear ifs solid rear. The only way that and ifs/rfs would work off road is to have at least a locker in the rear and lsd in the front. The ifs/rfs does not offer any where near the articulation that a solid axle set up will.

Brian T --- Canucker Trucker <flamindakman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > > > Because the industry is building "softer" 4x4s > (most SUV's are AWD now > > too, instead of a 4x4 system), they are making it > difficult for someone > > to buy a offroad capable set of wheels. Anyone > who has taken a Dak off > > road knows that the IFS on the front end really > does limit offroad > > capability. (most obvious is ground clearence) > > A properly designed IRS system will outperform solid > axles in any scenario. > The problem isn't IRS's .. its that they are being > designed for lighter > duty. The Hummer is 4-wheel independent suspension > isn't it? (I could be > wrong). And as for the ground clearance issue ... > that's totally false .. > on a stock setup. With a solid axle, your lowest > point is the big ugly diff > sticking out .. and the only way to raise that > higher is with larger tires. > With IRS, the diff is not hanging nearly as low, > infact, your centerline > ground clearance will be MUCH greater. > > The biggest downside to IRS is its difficult to > design for rugged durability > (like hitting a boulder on the axle while > off-roading). > > I personally would love to see an IRS dakota ... I'd > probably trade mine in. > My ideal dak would be an awd, 4-wheel independent > suspension, 5 or 6 spd > standard with the Hemi.... I'd buy that in an > instant ... maybe two! :) But > I'm all about the speed in off roading ... rally > racing and the like. > Wouldn't that be cool .. a dakota in the world rally > championships! teach > the WRXs and ricers a lesson! ... ok, now I'm just > rambling. > > -- > Canuck > -------------------------------------------- > Y2K, 4.7L, 2wd, 5spd, The Ultimate K&N HomeBrew, > Flowmaster CatBack, Home > Ported TB, Electric fan conversion, 180 therm., > Redline synth., IAT > relocate, HO Cams & Intake waitng for install > http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Vyikam1jjgNN6 > > >