4.7L.. What T-Stat to use...... NEW FINDING!!!!!!!

From: Donald Mallett (mallett@prepaidlegal.com)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 18:13:36 EDT

   This is going start to kick up the dirt. Letıs get started.

   To those of us (yea me included) with a aftermarket t-stat....

   I got my FSM last week and was taking a look at the cooling system
section and noticed a cut away view of the workings of the t-stat in the
housing. Noticed the t-stat when in the open position that a plunger on the
back of the t-stat closes a opening. On page 7-7 in the Description of the
³Temperature-4.7L Engine² here is a snip from it....

   ³On a 4.7L engine the t-stat is designed to block the flow of the coolant
bypass journal by 50% instead of completely blocking the flow. This design
controls coolant temperature more accurately (Fig 10).²

   I took a look at my OEM 195deg t-stat and up its got a plunger just like
the book says. I stopped by AZ today and compared the back end of both. The
Robert Shaw 755-180 has NO plunger!?! This is the one thatıs been in Dakota
for over two years. None of the t-stats in AZ would work in the 4.7L.

   I wonder how temperature control is effective with out this plunger?

And now back to our fun........

Don Mallett
Y2K QC 4.7L Auto SLT+
http://Geocities.com/maldbnsf/