Re: 2003 Ram Diesel

From: Scott Schang (schang@netsync.net)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 20:28:43 EDT

The previous fuel system had six fuel lines from the Bosch pump - the pump
mechanically drove duration and injection timing. The new fuel system is a
"common rail" fuel system - one line runs from the pump and splits to the
injectors. The computer tells the injectors when to inject and how much.
Old news in the car industry, but keep in mind the cylinder pressures
involved in a diesel combustion cycle.

The new fuel system allows a small amount of fuel to be injected which
starts the combustion process, then the full shot is injected. This process
is the key to the noise reduction. It is much quieter - a lot of work was
required to reduce the turbo / exhaust noise level. We didn't realize how
loud it was on the previous engine!

Scott