Re: 2003 Ram Diesel

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 00:46:56 EDT

"Jon N. Benignus" <blkwidow1@primary.net> wrote:

:> Cummins makes some of the most respected diesels
:> in the world,

: They are good, but does anyone find it odd that Dodge, which is owned by
: Daimler-Benz, uses Cummins engines, which is at least partly (AFAIK) owned
: by Ford, who uses International diesel engines in their trucks, and now
: Allison (GM) auto transmissions?

   Not true - Cummins is a publicly traded company. At one point,
Ford owned a tiny amount of Cummins stock (less than 10%) but Cummins
bought it back. That one little event triggered rumors ranging from
Ford buying out Cummins to Ford owning Cummins, and they still refuse
to die! Ford has no interest in Cummins, and even when they did, it
was only a small investment. (Cummins engines run too well to have
been made by Ford...) ;-)

: It would make sense for Dodge to start using their own engines.

   I dunno. Personally, I think it was smart for Dodge to use Cummins
engines. Its an excellent engine, and Dodge could concentrate on the
trucks themselves and not have to worry about spreading themselves too
thin. (The whole "you can do one thing well, or many things poorly" deal...)
But then again, Daimler-Benz seems to gravitate towards that whole
"jack of all trades, master of none" mentality so we probably *will*
be seeing Mercedes engines in Rams. (Or maybe even Sterling engines,
which Daimler bought from Ford.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'