Re: 2003 Ram Diesel

From: Grady Ogburn (jgo@nospamplease.uswest.net)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 12:48:10 EDT

On Tue, 08 Oct 2002 12:31:50 -0400, John_Neff@Dell.com said...

> Ford sold their shair of Cummins several years ago. It's even talked about
> on the Cummins web site.
>
> I don't believe it's odd that DC is still using another manufs engine and
> tranny in their trucks. They know what the public wants and why so many
> people keep buying Rams. They want the power, reliability, and longevity of
> the Cummins engine.

I think I read something a while back about DC considering using a
Mercedes diesel, and that they opted not to because the retooling cost
would've been prohibitive. Something about the existing powerplants
being too tall to fit into the Ram platform wihtout extensive rework
of either the Ram or the engine.

--
Grady Ogburn (Denver, AIM: JGradyO)
Black '98 Sport CC 4x4 5.2l, 5 Speed, 3.55 LSD