Powerdyne learning curve(longish)

From: Patrick Delgado (dadoctah@vitelcom.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 21:17:53 EDT

I think I've finally got the bugs out of my powerdyne blower and I'd like to
share what I've learned(specifically for 2000 R/T but may help others):

My blower vibrated so much I thought it was broken, a real mechanic looked
at it and immediately noticed that something was wrong. He said that all the
fasteners that attach the mounting plate to the engine should have "case
hardened" washers between the bolt heads and the aluminum plate. He put in
these washers and vibration is 90% gone(maybe remaining 10% is normal).
Apparently a basic mechanical tenet that powerdyne doesn't know about.

MASSIVE Belt slippage- used a Big Bob 9 psi/7-rib pulley from Randy Pile,
used a 115.?" Goodyear gatorback 7-rib belt(8.0 V10 app). Naturally the belt
was too long so I moved the powerdyne lower idler pulley to an adjacent bolt
about 3" inward and it fit great plus got more wrap. No slipping-noticeable
performance boost.

More, colder air- My homebrew recipe. Cut a 4" round hole in the horizontal
sheet metal in the fwd, right corner(just ahead of where stock air box was)
There's even an "x" to mark the spot.
Drop the small end of a PVC 3" Street 45degree elbow through the hole. Get
a 6 x 9 Cone filter with a 3.5" i. d. inlet(I used k&n RE-0920) put a hose
clamp over the inlet and scoot under your front bumper. From underneath @
right, front corner, push the filter upwards. It will fit behind the bumper,
in front of the radiator support and it's final destination will place it
between the fender liner and the diagonal fender support brace. Have someone
hold the elbow while you push the filter inlet over the elbow. Have your
buddy tighten the hose clamp. Duct the rest of the way the the blower inlet
as you see fit. I used the powerdyne 180deg bend at the blower inlet, about
6" of flex hose and the rest 3" pvc sch 26 and another elbow(22deg. St
elbow).
This pulls air completely outside the engine compartment and while moving,
massive air comes through the grill opening, wihout being heated by radiator
and is vented into this area.

Air hat gasket- I kept blowing them out. I made one from 1/16" rubberized
gasket material and glued it to the TB before puting on the air hat-no more
blowouts.

--Patrick Delgado
2000 FR RC R/T; 9 psi Powerdyne w/ 7-rib pulley, Gatorback belt, F&B stage I
TB, TV cable adj., Homebrewed K&N 0920 behind foglight, MAP boost bypass,
IAT relocation, MSDBTM, MSD 8.5 superconductors, 3923's, MP computer, NO
CAT, katbox, full Hotchkis kit, Bilsteins, 275/50 nittos and 305/45 BFG's,
powerslots/QS pads, Jason cap. In possession but not in position; Belly pan
plate and traction bars.