Re: Powerdyne learning curve(longish)

From: Tim Berry (coolva1@cox.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 23:48:26 EDT

This is why I wont buy Powerdyne again... it was all cool and all untill I
maxed out the boost at 8PSI (w/ 14PSI pulley, no belt slip) once I had
heads/cam on the 318... hell, I doubt it'd push 4PSI max on the setup I
have now... the same setup w/ a Vortech T-Trim on the 318 that made 14PSI
makes ~8-9 now on my 360... (mucho better air flow)

I always say if you are thinking about powerdyne, make sure you're not
plannin on running high boost, or looking to make your truck into a
drag-truck.... too small IMHO...

Tim Berry - Chesapeake, VA
97 Dakota Club Cab SLT (4315lbs)
318's best: 13.28@103.75
360's best: 13.03@103.76
355.8RWHP 395.2RWTQ (runnin lean)

> I think I've finally got the bugs out of my powerdyne blower and I'd like
> share what I've learned(specifically for 2000 R/T but may help others):
>
> My blower vibrated so much I thought it was broken, a real mechanic looked
> at it and immediately noticed that something was wrong. He said that all
the
> fasteners that attach the mounting plate to the engine should have "case
> hardened" washers between the bolt heads and the aluminum plate. He put in
> these washers and vibration is 90% gone(maybe remaining 10% is normal).
> Apparently a basic mechanical tenet that powerdyne doesn't know about.
>
> MASSIVE Belt slippage- used a Big Bob 9 psi/7-rib pulley from Randy Pile,
> used a 115.?" Goodyear gatorback 7-rib belt(8.0 V10 app). Naturally the
belt
> was too long so I moved the powerdyne lower idler pulley to an adjacent
bolt
> about 3" inward and it fit great plus got more wrap. No
slipping-noticeable
> performance boost.
>
> More, colder air- My homebrew recipe. Cut a 4" round hole in the
horizontal
> sheet metal in the fwd, right corner(just ahead of where stock air box
was)
> There's even an "x" to mark the spot.
> Drop the small end of a PVC 3" Street 45degree elbow through the hole.
Get