Re: Y-Pipe for Headers

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 19:52:01 EDT

"Dennis & Becky Anderson" <whatelse@qwest.net> wrote:
[...]
: My question to the DML group is therefore, "Is there some
: other manufacturer you know of who makes a Y-pipe for
: connecting shorty headers to a 3" diam exhaust system ?"
: The JBA Y-pipe was the only applicable one I found carried
: by Performance Center. I do not find any Dodge Y-pipes in
: the Summit catalog. It does not appear that Flowtech makes
: any Y-pipes, despite making headers !

  I have an ATR Y-pipe on my '96. Its 2.5" at the headers
and merges into a 3" collector. Stainless steel, mandrel bent.
It has a bung in it for the O2 sensor also. Its actually for a
'95, but with some massaging of the exhaust system, it fit on my '96.
(It exits just before a crossmember, so I had to have a tube bent up
and around the crossmember.) I'm not sure if they still make them or
not, but I think they are all CNC bent so if they still have the
program in the computer they might make one for you. Unfortunately,
I do not remember the price. And I think I recall something about
them drastically raising the price shortly after I bought mine a
few years ago.

  If all else fails, you can probably have an exhaust shop
build one for you. Probably a pricey way to go though. If
you do go that route, it would be a good idea to have a nickel-ceramic
coating put on it for no other reason that to help keep it from
rusting out. (Unless they build it out of stainless of course...)

  I assume you already have JBA (or similar shorty style) headers
which is why you are asking the question, but if not, I would
recommend taking a look at the Mopar headers which have longer
primary tubes and include a Y pipe.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'