Re: PREP plugs url (hydrolock)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 16:03:56 EDT

Hmm - we pumped quite a bit more than 1.4 fluid ounces out of Jon's
engine... "something expencive always bends or breaks when this happens"

Hate to sound pessimistic - but ya might want to assume the worst now
Jon, :-/

(snip from the spark plug web page)

"Small amounts of liquids may pass through an engine cycle without
damage, but volumes exceeding 40cc (1.4 fluid ounces, <3 tablespoons)
will cause many engines to develop cylinder pressures well in excess of
1000psi. A larger volume of water, up to the combustion chamber volume
(usually 60cc to 100cc), will generate increasingly high cylinder
pressure during the completion of the compression stroke. Volumes of
water which exceed the combustion chamber volume will "stop" a running
engine through true hydrostatic lock. Something expensive always bends
or breaks when this happens."

--
Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa)

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/