Re: Truck back in the shop

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 13:41:10 EDT

I have a 2000 2WD extended cab dakota as well...i've had ALL 4 control arms
replaced because of this reason. I have also heard that there is (may be)
inadequite heat shielding on the upper righthand side, so that the exhaust
heat is causing the control arm bushings to go bad prematurely. Getting
back to the control arms...All 4 were done about 4500 miles ago (in
warranty) and now I am experiancing the "clunk" sound again while making
lefthand turns. It is currently at the dealer and my service guy is going
to try and cover any front end parts and labor needed under the "customer
goodwill clause," meaning that since I always bring my truck to him since
day one and am a loyal customer they're gonna just hook me up. If any of
you live near chicago, it's Bettenhausen Dodge and they are the best
dealership that I've ever dealt with. I've got all sorts of mods on my
truck... ie: TB,PCM, MSD Ignition, stand alone fuel management...yadda
yadda...and I've never had a problem with something not being covered under
warranty.

<Tubamirbls@aol.com> wrote in message news:157.16523b25.2ae82104@aol.com...

> Hi Jon
> If you check the archives for this List over the past couple of years
> there have been frequent postings regarding ball jts and related front
> suspension problems on Gen III Dakotas both 2 and 4wd. I have a 2000 2wd
and
> noticed a noise beginning around 12k mi that transmitted a slight "thunk"
> feel to the steering wheel on left turns, especially if such turns
involved
> going over pavement irregularities like a drainage gutter, manhole cover,
> pothole patch, etc. I complained to my dealer who insisted nothing was
wrong
> and that (I didn't know what I was talking about). The problem persisted
but
> never got worse. At 40k mi while changing oil I glanced at the right
front
> suspension and noticed the rubber boot around the upper ball jt had a hole
in
> it and that grease had leaked out. While my factory warranty was over I
have
> the Chrysler extended 5yr so for $100 deductible paid they replaced the
> entire upper A-arm and ball jt since these sealed jts are riveted to the
> A-arm and can't be serviced separately. The total bill was around $300.
On