Re: Truck back in the shop

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 11:57:56 EDT

Hi Jon
     If you check the archives for this List over the past couple of years
there have been frequent postings regarding ball jts and related front
suspension problems on Gen III Dakotas both 2 and 4wd. I have a 2000 2wd and
noticed a noise beginning around 12k mi that transmitted a slight "thunk"
feel to the steering wheel on left turns, especially if such turns involved
going over pavement irregularities like a drainage gutter, manhole cover,
pothole patch, etc. I complained to my dealer who insisted nothing was wrong
and that (I didn't know what I was talking about). The problem persisted but
never got worse. At 40k mi while changing oil I glanced at the right front
suspension and noticed the rubber boot around the upper ball jt had a hole in
it and that grease had leaked out. While my factory warranty was over I have
the Chrysler extended 5yr so for $100 deductible paid they replaced the
entire upper A-arm and ball jt since these sealed jts are riveted to the
A-arm and can't be serviced separately. The total bill was around $300. On
the first left turn leaving the dealer after this repair my noise and thunk
were gone!
     I strongly suspect that whomever Chrysler is buying the Dakota sealed
ball jt front suspension parts from, upper, lower and tierod ends, that
insufficient grease is being provided in too many of them resulting in this
rash of too early failures. I also think it was foolish to eliminate the
zerk fitting and thereby to require the truck owner to periodically have "a
lube job."

Paul Sahlin