Re: Diesel for 4x4'ing???

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 21:43:24 EDT

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:10:18 Mr. Plow wrote:

> So, what are the advantages of a diesel for 4-wheelin??
> I'm thinking specifically of the 360 diesel that they put in the Rams.
> Obviously the low-end torque is there. I know these engines usually
> last significantly longer than the normal gas engines (with proper
> maintenance).
> So what else is there that would make me wanna put a diesel in my trail
> rig?? :)

You already mentioned most of the benefits that I'm aware of. Mostly the
monster tractor-style torque at very low RPMs. I'd think it's more suited
to my driving style than to yours :-).

I've also heard that diesel fuel is more stable than gasoline. Supposedly
if you manage to puncture your fuel tank and spill fuel all over the
ground, you don't have to worry so much about blowing yourself up. You
can also carry cans of extra fuel in the bed with less risk.

Keep in mind that the Cummins from the Ram is a huge, heavy beast of a
thing. I seriously doubt that there'd be any way to get one in a Dakota.
But you're welcome to try, it might be entertaining for the rest of us :-).

Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario