Re:Speedtweaks Update

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 21:35:45 EDT

Gary,

I can't tell you how pleased I was to read this particular post.

I've been a member of the DML since I bought my Kota back in '98 and while I
used to read every message religiously and post a lot, I'm afraid spare time
(and probably old age!) seems to be conspiring against me and I only get a
chance to read a few messages and post even more infrequently. The one
constant, however, has been Bernd. For as long as I can remember, he has always
been there to volunteer thoughtful and technically accurate posts to newbies and
veterans alike --no matter how many times they are asked. I also can't tell you
how many times I have read over the years that he has gone "above and beyond" by
offering and making telephone calls to "stuck" members to try and walk them
through a particular problem or kick something around in more detail. To my
knowledge he was making these kinds of efforts well before he started his
business and it wouldn't surprise me if people who have known him personally
said he has been like this all of his days.

Admittedly, I don't know the details of the business transactions (or lack
thereof) but I was perplexed nonetheless to see Bernd's name tied to the
problems --it seemed decidedly out of character.

Rather than going into nauseating details about the complexity and inherent risk
of starting a business and keeping it a going concern, I'll just say again how
pleased I am that an understanding has been reached. I also hope that things
improve for Bernd and equitable arrangements can be made for anyone else that
has any outstanding business.

While I don't personally know the man, my impression is that he's a stand-up
kinda guy. About the only knock I've got against him is the "d" at the end of
Bern... What's up with that anyway?! ;-)

Best Regards,
Tom