Re: removing broken bolt

From: Mark (Gilpin.MCKnospam@lycos.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 12:33:57 EST

You can try drilling and using an easy-out (any auto parts store should have
what you need). One thing I found works very well is to buy a left hand
twist drill bit (the size that you would need for the easy-out, in case this
doesn't work). When you start drilling it generates heat and small shock
loads as the bit bites and cuts. Using a left hand twist bit takes advantage
of this by trying to turn the broken bolt out as it drills. If the bolt
breaks free as you drill it just spins back out rather than tightening down
deeper as it would do with a right hand twist bit. Doesn't always work, but
it's nice when it does.

Mark