Re: Transfer Case Question

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 14:04:42 EST

Ron Sobers wrote:
> Howdy.
> Okay... I need some light shed on this T-case of mine. It's a 98 Dak,
> 5.2 4X4. the trans case has several different options...
> 2WD "All road surfaces"
> Part-Time 4WD "loose slippery road surfaces"
> Full-Time 4WD "All road Surfaces"
> Neutral "For towing"
> 4WD Low range
> So my question is.. does the Full time 4WD basically give me All Wheel
> drive (i.e. Durango R/T)?

Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: FT4WD engages the front driveshaft and puts the case into
a "differential" mode - between the front & rear driveshafts is a
viscous coupling (usually; not entirely sure if the 242 uses this or
something more mechanical) which lets the front & rear ends have some
difference between speeds. This gets power to all 4 corners but
prevents binding under most driving conditions; the torque is not split
evenly between the 2 shafts. PT4WD locks this differential, forcing
both front & rear to be spun equally & get the same power. Only use this
when there's some give in the surface - rock, sand, snow, ice, etc.