Re: Transfer Case Question

From: Ron Sobers (ron@rsx1.com)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 14:52:25 EST

> Short answer: Yes
>
> Longer answer: FT4WD engages the front driveshaft and puts the case into
> a "differential" mode - between the front & rear driveshafts is a
> viscous coupling (usually; not entirely sure if the 242 uses this or
> something more mechanical) which lets the front & rear ends have some
> difference between speeds. This gets power to all 4 corners but
> prevents binding under most driving conditions; the torque is not split
> evenly between the 2 shafts.
    So this means I can run FT4WD all the time if I wanted to? I'm thinking
of those twisty mountain roads - mainly :-)

~Ron .... Denver, CO
ICQ#26868681
WWW.RSX1.com

'67 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible (For Sale)
'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z (Parting 2)
'89 Shelby CSX-VNT #007
'98 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4
'02 Chrysler Sebring LXI Sedan