Re: Transfer Case Question

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 09:42:44 EST

>Ron Sobers wrote:
> Howdy.
>...It's a 98 Dak, 5.2 4X4. the trans case has several different options...
> 2WD "All road surfaces"
> Part-Time 4WD "loose slippery road surfaces"
> Full-Time 4WD "All road Surfaces"
> Neutral "For towing"
> 4WD Low range...
>> andylevy@yahoo.com 11/02/02 01:04PM >>>
...FT4WD engages the front driveshaft and puts the case into a "differential" mode - between the front & rear driveshafts is a
viscous coupling ... This gets power to all 4 corners but
prevents binding under most driving conditions; ... PT4WD locks this differential, forcing both front & rear to be spun equally & get the same power. ..
=========

Heyyyyyy! I feel cheated! I have a '99 5.2 4x4 SLT and all I have is 2WD, PT4WD, Neutral and FT4WD [Which I have never succesfully engaged, the manual says to be moving(?!?) when you shift - WTF!?! When I have needed it, I was already stuck - ie immobile] Did this get changed between '98 and '99 or am I an idiot that knows nothing about my truck. Before you flame me, remember, at least this IS dak-related, albeit stupid... TIA