Re: Re: RE: Re: winter projects...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 10:21:55 EST

"Gary Hedlin" <ghedlin@theramp.net> wrote:

: The comp cams 1.6 ratio cams (part no 1424-KIT) will work perfect. They
: also are significantly cheaper than the crowers. The 1.7's really don't
: give you that much HP compared to the 1.6's. If your doing the rocker arms,
: I'ld recomend a camshaft too. a Comp Cams 504/.512 Lift, 200/206 Duration
: (part no 3310) should work nicely, thats what I'm using for my new V6.

     I was going to suggest to Tim that as long as he was changing out the
rockers, he might as well step up to the 1.7s for that extra lift, but
I'd have to qualify that by saying that I'm not really up on what is available.
It sounds like the 1.7s might be significantly more expensive than the 1.6s,
and if that's the case then the small additional increase might not be
worth the extra cash outlay. If they were the same price though, I'd go
with the 1.7s as long as you know there aren't any piston to valve clearance
problems. I seem to remember that if you upgrade to the rollers, you should
get higher valve covers too, or cut the baffles out of the stock ones.

    Speaking of rockers in general, does anyone have any before/after
dyno data? The stock ratio on our Daks is already 1.6, so the only
thing going to 1.6 rollers will give you is decreased friction and
probably closer production tolerances than the stock stamped steel
units. (Though it does give you the ability to rev a bit higher if
that is what you're into.) :-) So, it doesn't *seem* like there are
huge gains to be had here - I wouldn't expect any miracles and before
doing this swap, I would definitely like to see some dyno data
considering you're probably looking at dropping a few bills on it. :-)

   When I did a "performance rebuild" on my 440 Barracuda, I went with
aluminum roller rockers, but mainly because I needed an adjustable
valvetrain - if I didn't, I probably would have stuck with the stockers.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'