Re: SS Chevy new output

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 23:51:45 EST

"Jon N. Benignus" <blkwidow1@primary.net> wrote:

:> but Hot rod says it
:> will sell for $23K.
: No way you'll get all that for $23k. Base truck, yes. All the HP stuff? Go
: look at a Chebby truck today and see how much it is without all the go fast
: goodies and you will understand.

   I dunno - its not completely out of line. According to chevrolet.com,
a base 1500 Silverado is just over $19,000. That leaves $4,000 for a
cam, some extra compression, K&N filter, headers and duals, T-56 tranny,
and wheels. That is close to being doable for an average schmoe, but
of course we are talking about GM itself. To upgrade the tranny to
a T-56 for example, they don't have to buy the original tranny, set it
aside, then buy a new one. They just never purchase the original. The
same goes for all of the HP parts on the truck. The incremental cost
for an HP part over the stock piece is really pretty minimal. Plus,
there is the fact that they get the parts a heck of a lot cheaper than
we can, PLUS the fact that these are all "parts bin" pieces - they
have ready access to them, no new engineering required - sounds like
they are just taking the Camaro tranny and slapping it into the 1500,
as-is.

   Remember, the whole idea is to do this as dirt cheap as possible.
They even tried to delete the heater until they discovered it would
actually cost more money to do so. :-)

   Then, consider that we are talking about Chevy - parts are so cheap
that NAPA pays YOU to take them off the shelves. ;-)

  Ok, I exaggerated a bit on that last one, but I don't have much problem
thinking that Chevy could pull this off for around that price.

   Ummmm... Why am I talking about Chebbies??? Ptui! Yeeeach! I've
gotta go get rid of this taste in my mouth. ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'