Tim Berry Where Art Thou - Tranny Band Help!

From: Fawcett, Thomas E (fawcett@bu.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 15:12:11 EST

Tim, DUDE, I told I might be e-mailing for help and I sure hope your checking your mail this weekend!

Everything was going well with the tranny fluid and filter change (took my usual bath in the crap!) until I got to the rear band adjustment. My FSM calls for 72 inch pounds of torque and either the bands were waaaaaaaay loose or the FSM is wrong as I had to finger tighten the adjustment screw quite a bit before I could apply any real torque. Also, before adjustment the plunger or whatever the heck it is was so loose I could wiggle it around with my hand.

Can you (or anybody else that has done this) confirm the FSM is correct and I haven't totally screwed the pooch by tightening this thing up too tight??? I'm aksing because my FSM has a diagram showing the filter being attached upside down --that error and how mega loose it was has got me really nervous!

Also, I used Permatex Blue gasket sealer on the gasket even though it didn't look like it would need it (it's a plastic gasket this time that looks exponentially better than the cork gasket I got before). Any problem with me doing this??? I only put it on the outside edges and around the bolt holes so I don't think (knock on wood) that any got squeezed out into the pan. I'm gonna' let it harden overnight just the same before I put any fluid in it.

Finally, this time around I noticed a pretty good coat of sludge encasing the magnet and when cleaning out the pan, let's just say if I was panning for gold I'd be a very happy man right now. No big chuncks of metal but definitely nice and sparkly as I was flushing it out. Anything here I should raise my blood pressure over?

Oh yeah, I also couldn't get to the front band adjustment screws as it's just too tight up in there! How the heck do you do that one and were do you find the right socket (it's a square headed screw)???

Thanks for all your help!
Tom