RE: Tim Berry Where Art Thou - Tranny Band Help!

From: Ray (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 17:08:21 EST

The proper procedure is to tighten the screw/bolt to 72 inch pounds, then back it out the specified number of turns, usually 2 turns on the rear band, 2 1/2 on the front band. Then, of course, tighten the nut while preventing the bolt from turning.

The front one is tough to reach but a very small open end wrench will fit the square shaft. Can't remember if I used metric or standard. When you can't get a torque wrench on it, the accepted method is to tighten it till "just snug" with a very small wrench, then back it out the required turns.

If you have the new, reusable Mopar pan gasket, it will be a steel plate sandwiched between rubber. It requires no sealant.

HTH,

Ray