Re: Where's my DML???????

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 13:47:57 EST

Quiktruk99@aol.com wrote:

: My last digest was Oct. 14th, nothing since. Well, that's not entirely true,
: as I'm still getting virus attempts from people using the DML!!!!!!!!!!!!
: One is RedDak95 sending an email titled "Darling". Who the hell is this?
: If this is what the list has degenerated to, I'm outta here!

  The virus thing has already been covered by others; as far as not
getting the digests goes, this is a problem we have been having with
AOL lately. Although I cannot get a confirmation from AOL, it seems
that they are treating messages with a lot of recipients (like, from
mailing lists) as spam and just dropping the messages. Their mail
server actually accepts the message, but it never gets delivered to the
recipient! This is a really stupid policy and a braindead checking
methodology. (Which makes it par for the course for AOL.)

  Your address is subscribed to the digest and according to the mail
logs, it has been delivered to you all along. (Well, it was delivered
to AOL's mail server to be sent to your address, but what happens to
it between then and your mailbox is anyone's guess.)

  I would recommend contacting AOL to find out why solicited, non-spam
messages are being dropped without any notification to the sender or
recipient. If you like, I would be happy to provide dates, times,
and message id's of digest messages sent to you to assist AOL tech
support in diagnosing the problem.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'