Re: FW: [dakotart] Question about Shift Points? / TQ Management

From: Tim Berry (coolva1@cox.net)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 09:24:10 EST

incorrect for year trucks... :-P

my 97 318 has torque management... (well... PCM for 318) as well as a
friends truck in TN w/ a 98 RT..

the way I have assumed it to work (since I've been fighting it for a year or
more now) is when you put a higher stall converter in it, you will notice
that you will have a "bog" off the line, specially w/ slicks... I think
what the PCM does is look at the RPM's vs. the output shaft speed sensor in
the tranny.... if the RPM's go over a certain value, w/o the driveshaft
spinning, it sees the tranny slipping, therefore drops timing advance to 0
(watched this on laptop, as well as dealer scan tool)
one lil hack way to fix this on 97's and previous years (due to 98+ has no
output shaft speed sensor from what I've been told) is remove OSS
connection, and drive it down the road... you will notice that you wont
shift outta 1st gear till ~15MPH or so, and you will get a check engine
light... as soon as you get into 2nd gear, you removed (actually, bypassed)
torque management for that driving cycle... w/o cutting the truck off, stab
it from the line... I'll bet you'll spin like you never imagined :-)

There is one drawback to defeating it this way for the track... and that is
that generally you let your truck cool down in the staging lanes... and as I
said before... when you cut the truck off... you'll have to get it to shift
into 2nd gear for it to be defeated again.... most tracks you cant get up
to 15MPH before the burnout box... as well as this.. the "bog" becomes way
more noticable w/ the sensor disconnected untill you reach the magical
speed... which I was only able to do this one time in the burnout box w/ my
slicks... every other time... I looked like a dumbass barely able to spin
the slicks over....

I'm thinking of puttin a switch inline w/ the sensor to have it where I can
be doing my burnout, have it at say, 30MPH, and flip the switch...hopefully
it'll instantly set the CEL and have bypassed the TQ Management...

I'll keep everyone updated... I'm still waiting on someone to install my
4.10s tho :-P

Tim Berry - Chesapeake, VA
97 CC, 360, Auto, 4300LBS
best ET to date: 13.03@103.76

The later 2001+ have a torque management circuit in the PCM.