Re:

From: Mark Haney (mphaney@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 01:00:45 EST

Don't feel too bad, I pulled a similar maneuver last year. I was turning
the truck around in my driveway and forgot the tailgat was down. I backed
right into a railroad-tie wall. Fortunately, I was just slipping the
clutch, so nothing bent but the top of the tailgate, but there was some
tearing of metal and it was beyond repair.

I found a used parts joint that had a tailgate from a Dak that was purchased
by a power company. The gate was a 98, but it was removed immediately, so
it had never seen any weather. I picked it up for $250. I doubt this was
an especially good price (I just wanted it fixed ASAP), so you should be
able to find something in that range. All I had to do was get it painted
for another $125, and I was as good as new.

Check the salvage yards' web sites. Most of them have locator services. If
worst comes to worse, the place I got mine (in Pittsburgh, PA) had 2 or
three. I could dig up their name and give them a call. Maybe they'll
ship...

Mark Haney
2K CC SLT+ 4.7 5sp 4x4 3.92 LSD