Idle Problem solved thanks to the DML

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 06:40:05 EST

I got a check engine light come on Friday night. I was expecting it cause I
do pay attention to my gauges and I noticed my RPM was hanging above idle.
Way above. Somewhere around 1100 to 1500 RPM at idle. So I expected a check
engine light to come on at just about anytime and sure enough, it came on
Friday night. I took the truck to AutoZone Saturday morning and had them
come out and read the codes. It only had one code stored and it came up
1294. The explanation of the code was "see a dealer for code explanation."
I thanked the guy and went home and got on my computer. I first went to the
DML web page to try to get an answer there, but no luck. Next tried the
ODBII webpage and bingo! Got the answer. Code 1294 is "target RPM not
achieved at idle condition, Possible vacuum leak or IAC". While I was at
AutoZone, I did buy some carb cleaner and a new throttle body gasket. I
removed the TB, cleaned it and the IAC. When I was cleaning the IAC, I made
the mistake of accidentally pushing the plunger into the body of the
solenoid. I thought well, lets see what happens. Yikes!!!!! Started the
engine and it went up to 3000 RPM! And then started climbing to 3800!! Not
good. Shut down and let it sit for a bit and tried it again. Same results.
I next went poking around the intake and found on the passengers side of
the truck just below the PCV valve nipple, there is a second smaller nipple
and the plug was missing. I found the plug lying on top of the valve cover
where it meets the intake. I tried putting it back on and it was way loose.
Back to AutoZone for a new IAC and a box of rubber vacuum plugs. While I
was there, I figured I might as well get the stuff for an oil change. $55
later I was back home and fixing the truck. Got the new IAC in, plugged off
the vac port, and started the truck. RPM went up to 2000 and stayed there
for a bit then climbed to 2500 and started dropping back. I let it run for
a minute or two and it settled right down to about 750 RPM. Reset the PCM,
changed my oil and as of this morning on my way to work,, it ran fine. I'm
glad the folks at AutoZone were able to read the code and I thank all the
folks from the DML for giving me the knowledge to fix this problem myself.
I know if I had to go to the dealer, it would have cost me at least $100
for just the IAC problem.

Ray Irons
Dover, DE