Weird Noise & Smoke @ W.O.T.

From: DakotaJohn (jkp61@horizonview.net)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 23:23:09 EST

   Something weird happened tonite on the way home from going out to dinner.
Some idiot in a Tacoma with super bright lights had been pacing me and/or
tailgating me so I had nailed it to leave him in the dust when the truck
reacted strangely. She shifted fine all the way up then hit O/D and the
engine started to make rattling or hammering noise like I've never heard
before ( not like floating the valves, and the rpms had dropped) and smoke
started pouring out of the exhaust. This has never happened before and when
I let off the gas it quit. I don't know if it matters, but she was loaded
down, 3 adults, 1 teen, and 310lbs of weight in the bed. Any ideas? Oh yeah,
mine is a 2K CC 3.9L Auto and I did leave the Tacoma behind, that is how I
saw the smoke, in his bright lights! TIA John.