Re: RE: A call to all Canuk Dak owners

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 11:03:01 EST

At 09:09 AM 11/29/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I tried to fight it, but I just can't. I have to comment on some
>of these.. I just have to.... and yes... I am opinionated :-)
>
>ok.... name one political leader that isn't a moron? Quick..
>just name one. Our prime minister is one as well.

Slick willie wasn't a moron ... he was a perv :-) Just wish
GWB would drive a Dodge truck though :-)

>There.. I have ranted and stepped off my opinionated soap box.

Ahhhh ... just like old times :-)

Should we visit our U.S. Dakota bretherns and sisterns next
Thanksgiving, stuff their turkeys with Amsoil, and steal their
Fumoto plugs :-)

Bob

BTW, in Canada Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday
in October. Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims
and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful
harvest (won't say what we were harvesting though). The harvest season
falls earlier in Canada compared to the United States due to the simple
fact (unkownst to many Yanks) that Canada is further north.

The first formal Canadian Thanksgiving was held just over 40 years
prior to the pilgrims landing in Massachusetts. An English explorer
named Martin Frobisher had been trying to find a northern passage
to the Orient (my FAVOURITE place). He did not succeed (he would
have if he had had a Dakota) but he did establish a settlement in Northern
America and he did celebrate a harvest feast. This is considered the
first Canadian Thanksgiving.

In 1957, Parliament announced that on the second Monday in October
that Thanksgiving would be "a day of general thanksgiving to almighty
God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed."
(Too bad they wouldn't allow us to get the Fox News Channel as well.)

During the American Revolution, Americans who remained loyal to
England moved to Canada where they brought the customs and practices
of the American Thanksgiving to Canada. There are many similarities
between the two Thanksgivings such as the cornucopia (say what?)
and the pumpkin pie.

The Canadian table usually features venison and waterfowl (only Americans
love turkeys). However, in Southern Ontario eating waterfowl or venison at
Thanksgiving has never happened (could not afford them with our CDN $)
and that the turkey or/and ham is the featured food.

So endeth the history lesson (notice how I worked the Dakota into it :-))

Forgive me list members ... still annoyed at Jon's PIT and my distributor
cap :-)