Re: 22 gal. gas tank?

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@directvinternet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 19:56:21 EST

I did this several years ago on my '96. As Tom said the fuel pump is
specific but it is for certain years not the tank (sorry Tom ;-) ) As long
as you get a tank form the same year as your dak you'll be fine. I believe
the '97 to '00 are the same design but it's better to just get the same
year.

During the Gen II's years they changed how the fuel pump attached to the
tank several times that is why it's mentioned to make sure. The earlier ones
had a hose clamp type setup where the later ones had a twist setup like the
top of a mason jar.

As for the fuel pump they are not specific to the different tank sizes. THe
tank don;t vary much in depth so the ower basket is designed to extend to
meet a little deeper tank. Most of the extra volume for the larger tanks is
on the end(s).

One very big biggie. I was stupid and did not disconnect my battery when I
exchanged the pumps. Don't do this, disconnct the battery. I shorted ut the
ignition module on my truck and you could only drive it for a couple of
miles before it got hot and shut the truck down. Have to sit there and wait
for it to cool down to go again. Fun going to the dealer to get fixed.

The tank shouldn't cost more than $25 bucks inless the yard is a littel on
the pricey side. Gas tanks are not usually a hot item in the yard. Be sure
to wash it out real well and let it dry.

Jeff Durling