Re: Things that go "clunk" - TSB

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 01:36:51 EST

At 09:04 PM 12/9/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>Maybe this applies, maybe not...
>
>I just downloaded for our truck, TSB number: 19-05-99, regarding an
>improperly aligned steering column resulting in a "popping sensation/noise
>in steering while turning," applicable to 1997-2000 MY Dakotas and Durangos.
>
>It basically outlines the details of loosening the steering column mounts
>under the dash, shaking the column vertically to allow it to relieve any
>stress in it's mounting, then tightening everything back up in the now
>properly aligned position.

My '00 Dak used to have the popping sound when making hard (wheel turned as
far as it goes) left or right turns. It went away before I mentioned it to
the dealer.

More recently, however, I've been hearing a squeaking sound when I make
right turns (does not happen for left turns). It's definitely very
strange. It doesn't happen all of the time, and it also doesn't seem to
happen when the wheel is turning all the way (i.e. I am pulling into a
driveway or parking space). It frequently happens when going around
corners and making turns at stop signs. I had the dealer take a look, and
they lubed and torqued everything, noting a "slight noise in the
intermediate steering column." Unfortunately, it wouldn't make the noise
for a few days before or after I took it to the dealer, and now it's
happening again. It's definitely something in the steering system. The
squeaking noise is not loud, but just loud enough to be annoying when I
hear it. (The noise can't be heard at all from outside the truck)

Any ideas on that one? :)

-Bill