Re: Things that go "clunk" - TSB

From: Kevin Sellstrom (ksellstr@softcom.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 00:04:58 EST

Maybe this applies, maybe not...

I just downloaded for our truck, TSB number: 19-05-99, regarding an
improperly aligned steering column resulting in a "popping sensation/noise
in steering while turning," applicable to 1997-2000 MY Dakotas and Durangos.

It basically outlines the details of loosening the steering column mounts
under the dash, shaking the column vertically to allow it to relieve any
stress in it's mounting, then tightening everything back up in the now
properly aligned position.

At 10:10 AM 12/9/02 -0600, you wrote:

>I was hoping that someone could help me on this one... Just about every
>time that I go around a corner or even if I "slalom" down the street, I get
>this weird clunking noise from the front end of my dak. It's a 2000 2wd
>with a V6. I've got my ASE in suspension/driveability and I took a look at
>all the suspension components sprung/unsprung and everything looks fine and
>is torqued to spec. The ball joints and tie rod ends (inner & outer) are
>looking good. I've just replaced all my swaybar bushings/endlinks with
>energy suspension pieces, so they're all fine. I also took a look at the
>body mounts and they are fine as well. I'm about at my wit's end on this
>one. The only thing that's left that I can think of is that perhaps the
>bushings that hold the steering rack to the frame might be bad and need
>replacing. Does anyone have any ideas??? If I think on this any longer I
>think my head's gonna explode.
>
>-Josh
>2000 CC V6

Kevin Sellstrom, W6KTB