Re: Dakota with a gooseneck??

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 14:44:51 EST

> (Just got to excersize
> a little self control and try not to hook up to any equipment trailers
> and start hauling bulldozers around.) ;-)

Ummm... WHO are we talking about here? :-)

Seriously, Adam, you should definitely pay close attention to the specs
for payload, trailer weight and GCVWR. I remember when a certain Mr.
Steiger was thinking of getting a Dak as a "tow vehicle" (cough, cough...)
I was helping him look for a suitable candidate. From what we saw, the
Ram ended up being a much better choice for towing. Even the 1500 Ram was
rated higher than most Daks (I say "most" because it is possible to spec
out a Dak with all the heavy-duty packages and match the Ram, but you
don't find them built that way very often).

I know the Quad Cab Daks are really nice vehicles, but you might want to
consider going with a Ram if you're towing that much weight. IIRC, the
Quad isn't available with the extra payload packages, which might limit it
too much. You might even end up needing to put extra springs or airbags
on.

You should be able to find a good deal on a 2-3 year old Ram if the price
is a concern. It would also save money versus having a hitch custom made,
if it came down to that.

Besides, the Rams have solid front axles, so it would be easier to convert
your "tow vehicle" to an off-road monstrosity. Not that anyone would do
that :-).

Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario