Re: Dakota with a gooseneck??

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 12:58:41 EST

"Mr. Plow" <adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com> wrote:

: Ok, i'm thinking about getting a Quad 4x4 early next year, but i will need
: it to tow my off-road machine.
: (BTW, that "machine" has yet to be determined what form it will appear in at
: the BBQ. hehe)

   Uh.... oh.... (Jon makes a note to himself to buy extra tape for
the camcorder before next year..) ;-)

: So, i'm wondering if the Dakota could handle a hidden gooseneck type of
: hitch in the bed?

    I don't see why not; a goosneck is actually easier on the tow
vehicle than a traditional hitch, and creates a more stable combination
in general. Granted, they are typically used for heavy loads, but there's
no reason you can't use one on a Dak as long as you abide by the published
GCVWR numbers and keep the "tongue weight" within the payload capacity
of the truck. With a light steel or aluminum gooseneck I don't see
why that combination wouldn't work. (Just got to excersize a little
self control and try not to hook up to any equipment trailers and start
hauling bulldozers around.) ;-)

  You might have some trouble finding a gooseneck for the Dak - I did a
quick 'net search but didn't find anybody who made one - you might
need to have something custom made by a shop that specializes in
towing and hitches. Before commiting to the idea, I would definitely
do some research on trailer empty weights and loaded tounge weights to
make sure you stay within GCVWR and payload specs, and you will probably
want to find some options for the hitch itself, and check on what the
capabilities of the hitch itself will be.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'