Re: RE: Dakota with a gooseneck??

From: Ron Sobers (ron@rsx1.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 07:16:47 EST

Considering that when I worked at a used RV lot many years ago (15), there
was everything in the world with goosenecks. some people will put a hitch in
anything! Of course we had the full size trucks in there, but there was also
Mazda B2000's, Datsun/Nissan's, Ram 50's, and Toyota's.
    The coolest 'mini' set-up that ever came in there was Toyota Truck
w/matching 20-some foot travel-trailer & matching Horse trailer (not be
pulled at the same time of course). I still occasioanly see one of these
trucks - the frame was stretched, and a made into a Quad cab, while
retaining the long bed - needless to say it was a long little truck! The
travel trailer was a 5th wheel style, while it had a flip up gooseneck for
the horse trailer.
    We also removed gooseneck set ups from some of the little trucks that we
had in stock. Mostly the permanant mounted style. These where generally
mounted on a steel plate that was at leat 1/8" thick, with C channel cross
reinforcements. They usually weighed in at about 125 pounds or so. 12 Years
later when I removed the gooseneck hitch from my Father's 96 2500 Ram it was
the same style set-up. The biggest pain in the butt is the fact that you
need to remove the bed to correctly install/remove a gooseneck.