Re: Buying New Truck (LONG!)

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 11:22:12 EST

Hi Tom
      Sounds to me like an old fashioned case of wanting your cake and being
able to eat it too, a situation gazillions of us Americans find ourselves in
frequently, Speaking as one who has owned about 20 vehicles in my life to
date I can go on and on about some of them for which I had an extremely
strong "attachment" as you call it, so I believe I know how you feel about
your two 89's.
     However, I can also tell you that life goes on after parting with a
treasure or two. They remain in your memory which is fine, but no longer
clutter your carport, having been replaced by something else, hopefully as
good or better. If I were you, I'd sell the 89's and go seriously after a
replacement, IF you can afford to.
     Whether this particular truck and this dealership are where you should
be looking is your call. The selling tactics you describe thus far don't
sound all the different from most dealerships these days. If you got a $20k
offer after much haggle and you want that truck, notwithstanding its snowplow
history, then go back with the intention to buy. If they counter with a
higher price and claim the $20k never was "serious" or whatever, then I know
I would never buy anything from such people.
     As for funding, if you've just made a house purchase maybe this is just
not the time to be adding a vehicle replacement too. If one of your 89's is
running well then maybe you should just forget about another newer truck at
this time and wait until you can get financially a little more ahead. This
should not preclude your unloading the 89 that is clearly in the poorer
condition.

Paul Sahlin