Buying New Truck (LONG!)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 23:35:30 EST

Well I wanted to keep this quiet for a few reasons... but in the end I
decided to come to the "family" for help.

I have located a truck that I REALLY REALLY want.

Here are the specs...

2001 Black Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Long Bed
360 CI Magnum Engine, Auto Trans - Fog Lights, power locks, and windows,
power heated mirrors, Back Rack, tow package, bed liner, clearance
lamps, sliding rear window, 8 foot Meyer Steel snow plow with an E-60
lift, has overhead computer w/temp and compass readouts. I didn't
notice if it has crusie and tilt or not but I'm willing to bet it does.

It has 40,600 miles and overall is in outstanding shape. Its only flaws
that I saw were a small dent in the tailgate and the front windsheild
was cracked with a large chip. Looked like a rock hit it. They said
they would replace it.

I'm sad to say that I was really pressured and made to feel
uncomfortable by the sales people at the 5 Star Dodge Dealer where the
truck is at. I test drove a 2003 Hemi 2500 silver Quad and its amazing!
(spun the tires REAL easy) its got massive power and ponch. But at $35K
its well out of range. This was when the sales guy said he had a used
2500 ram - I fell in love on sight. He went to look for the key and to
find out how much it was and said it was around $25K.

Got in the showroom after the test drive and he said $29,995. From
there on I haggled with them and the "sales manager" who was really
pushy. But I kept my cool. He finally came to $20,995 as a price.

KBB.com says the truck would retail between $24K and $26K. I'm
wondering if he was just throwing a number at me without intension of
honoring it. I kept telling the guy I wanted to think about it and I
would call him back tomarrow. I have a feeling if I go back ther eand
say OK I'll take it at $20,995 - he will say "I never offered you that".
  In which case its no loss I suppose - I just don't buy the truck. I
did not get that quote in writing, no. He scribbled it on a peice of
paper in a black marker - that was it. (don't have the paper)

I'm getting to the part where I need help... My credit is very good -
but I don't have very much of it. Basically a high credit rating - but
not a large credit line. We are selling out house and buying a new one.
    With selling the house there might be enough left over to swing a
large enough downpayment (assuming the offer of $20,995 is good) to
auctually buy this Ram. But I would be in a much better position if ...
uh... err... I sold my two Dakota Silver89's

For 3 years I have resisted selling those trucks. I have held firm
against it. I have been told by everyone I know and talk to - that I am
insane for turning down a new(er) truck for these old falling apart
Daks. I don't even know how much I could get for them. One doesn't run
and one barely runs.

I just know that down the line - I will regret selling them. A friend
told me of how he had an old pontiac 2+2 and how he poured money into
the car and it was never right. Until he hated it so much he wanted to
puke whne he looked at it. I look at those two rust buckets sitting in
my carport and dream over how I want to build them up. They won't cost
anything sitting in my new garage undriven. My family doesn't understand
no one seems to understand my attatchment to those trucks. They see
junk - I see a dream to complete. They arn't a pair of GTO Judge's or 59
Caddies or 69 Chargers or 71 Hemi Cuda 'verts. But they mean that much
to me. (I suppose I answered my own question eh)? What does everyone
else think I should do?

Also - there is something else I need help with that I don't know if
anyone can advise me on. If I do manage to finagle a way to buy this
Ram, I want to have it inspected by an unbiased 3rd party. I wan't to
know exactly waht mechanical condition that rig is in. I got shafted
when I bought my Silver 89 Dak. (paid too much) - I got shafted when I
got my 2wd's tranny fixed - I vowed never to get taken to the cleaners
again. How can I make sure this truck is good? Plow trucks are
typically abused and worked over hard.

--

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa)

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/