RE: A Lopey Christmas

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 14:40:10 EST

Richard, so far we don't have smog testing in central Ohio. Guess I'll
cross that bridge when it gets here.;-)

Since I changed to the M1 2-bbl at the same time as the Hughes cam, Bob will
be able to more accurately determine the effect of the cam alone as that is
all he changed this time. Even though some people feel they lost low end
torque with the M1 2-bbl I sure didn't see it, especially when you consider
the power band of the cam as well. (According to their manufacturer's
specs, both the cam and the intake have a power band of 2000 to 5800 rpm.)
I could feel no difference in drivability around town and my gas mileage is
the same as before. I get 20-21 mpg on the highway. Where the cam and
intake is *most* noticeable is at WOT above 5200 rpm. From there to 6000
rpm it's a rush!! On track comparison shows I'm 3 hundredths of a second
slower in 60' times compared to the beer barrel and RT cam, but from there
on out it's now quicker and faster.

My usual *good* runs with the beer barrel and RT cam were in the 14.0 @ 96.5
range.

My usual *good* runs with the M1 2-bbl and Hughes cam are in the 13.7 @ 99.5
range. (*good* meaning decent weather and track conditions)

 If you look at my time slips on the dragtruk site, it should be noted that
the run with the RT cam was done in nearly perfect weather conditions with
no wind whereas the run with the Hughes cam was into a head wind and less
than ideal conditions. (I couldn't even scan my best time slip as the print
was too light.) We never had weather conditions this year as good as last
year but if I had to make an educated guess as to the best my current
combination could do in comparable weather I would say 13.69 @ 100.5.

RayB