Re: computers, tire sizes and errors?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 14:46:32 EST

Aajaynefour@cs.com wrote:

: Planning to go from 31 inch tires to 32 inch tires and was wondering if
: anyone could tell me if I will need to and/or be able to re-program the
: computer to read speed and count milage correctly?

  Andrew,

  Your speedometer (and odometer) will read low by approximately 3.13%.
So, at an actual speed of 55mph, your speedometer will read just over
53mph. 1000 actual miles travelled will show up as not quite 969 miles
on your odometer. (This is assuming your stock tire size is 31" of
course.) Wether you want to correct for this or not is purely a matter
of personal preference. If you do decide to try and correct, the
procedure depends on the model year of truck. On the older Daks,
you need to change the little plastic gear at the end of the speedometer
cable on the transmission, but on later models the correction is done
within the computer itself by the dealer. In either case, you will
probably not be able to exactly correct for the new tire size, generally
you find a stock configuration which comes as close to your current config
as possible and use the PCM settings or gear for that application.
However, I am not 100% certain when Dodge stopped using the gears and
went to PCM adjustments.

  Another alternative is that there are aftermarket boxes you can use
which "fake" the signal. Using one of those, you can probably exactly
correct for the change, but I don't have any personal experience with
any of them so I don't know what's out there or how well they work.
I think a few DMLers have though, maybe someone else will be able to
chime in with that info.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'